Title: Perfect Chemistry
Author: Simone Elkeles
Published: Simon and Schuster (1st April 2010)
No. of Pages: 355
Grade Rating: A+
When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more. In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.
Ohmygosh! There are very, very few words to describe how much I absolutely adored this book. Reading previous reviews, I expected it to be good but just not this good. I can't believe how long I put off reading this and now I realise how stupid I was. This is a rare book that I can call one of my favourites!
Full of forbidden romance, lust and gang violence this was one beautiful but edgy novel that broke away from the cliched romance of Romeo and Juliet. A true original, I couldn't stop turning pages until it felt like I was breathing the book. Elkeles is a fantastic author who has created a modern day masterpiece that will have you swooning from the last page. Like West Side Story, Perfect Chemistry is an urban version of the classic film.
Never have two characters had such an impact on me. Brittany and Alex are two personalities that really get under your skin and invade your mind. They were extremely realistic and well formed with more secrets and troubles than their stereotypical masks showed of them. Brittany who I was expecting to be the perfect little rich girl who I was sure to hate, surprised me by being a caring, selfless person who I actually ended up liking. And Alex? I could make an endless list of how swoon-worthy he was. Forget Bella and Edward, Brittany and Alex should be the reigning King and Queen of YA.
The relationship and tension between Brittany and Alex was practically burning the page. It was nice to see how they could go between two extremes without it being tacky and unrealistic. Their relationship took time to grow which added to the believability of them as characters. Elkeles does not shy away from steamy scenes and makes the passion obvious but always classy. Sparks really do fly and emotions are high. It almost reduced me to tears. Perfect Chemistry is a very powerful, emotional book with an irresistible love story. This is one never to be missed!

12 comments:
I have this book on my bookshelf! I think I'll be reading it real soon now!
Great review, I'm glad you liked it!
Everyone seems to love this book! I really wish I had it already! Great review!
I'm glad you liked it. It really is a great book. Wonderful review!
Great review! I'm glad you loved it.
I'm glad you loved it! It is one of my favorites and like you I put off reading it. In a way I'm glad I did because there wasn't as long of a wait before Rules of Attraction (about Alex's brother Carlos) was published. I definitely agree with you that Alex and Brittany should be the star couple of YA fiction over the annoying Bella and Edward. Ugh. Great review!
I've heard so many great things about this book! I've been meaning to read it, but now I really have to. Thanks for a great review!
Brilliant review! I have to say I didn't feel desperate to read this one either, but I agree with everything you've said here. It's an amazing book.
Hey hey! You've been tagged! Hop over to my blog to have a look :-)
I love this book to death. Bring on Rules of Attraction!
This is such a well executed book. Simone did such an amazing job with it. Great review! :D
Wow this is seriously an amazing review! I'm glad you liked it. I just got this from the library, so I'm really excited to read it :D
Post a Comment