Friday, 30 April 2010

Review: The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

Title: The Chosen One
Author: Carol Lynch Williams
Published: Simon & Schuster (5th April 2010)
No. of Pages: 214
Grade Rating: A-

Thirteen-year-old Kyra has grown up in an isolated polygamous community without questioning her father’s three wives and her twenty brothers and sisters. Or at least without questioning them much—if you don’t count her secret visits to the Mobile Library on Wheels to read forbidden books, or her meetings with the boy she hopes to choose for herself instead of having a man chosen for her. But when the Prophet decrees that Kyra must marry her 60-year-old uncle—who already has six wives—Kyra must make a desperate choice in the face of violence and her own fears of losing her family.

The Chosen One was a heart wrenching novel about the dangers of the cult that Kyra belongs to. This book was vivid and overall extremely powerful and emotive.

The Chosen One was such an interesting book. It gives such a clear insight into life in a cult with all details preserved for effect. The writing was in the perspective of Kyra, a girl about to be forced to marry her evil, brutal uncle as forseen by The Prophet. This worked very well as you were really able to connect with her on many different levels. She didn't want to be a part of this cult anymore. She wanted a future with another boy, she wanted a normal life outside the walls of the community. She wanted and did things that were forbidden as they were influenced by the Devil. She was a very strong, determined protagonist and I really enjoyed seeing the world through her eyes.

The author really pushes the boundaries with this novel. To devout Christians or people of religion this book may seem controversial but I praise Williams for writing such a unique book. I have never read anything like this before. It raises awareness for people who are unaware of this kind of harsh lifestyle and what girls like Kyra have to go through everyday. The writing was captivating. Simple yet very engaging.

The Chosen One definitely brought a tear to my eye. I don't reccomend this for readers who enjoy light reads. It may be a short book but it explores all different kinds of emotions like grief, loss and hope. I felt immensely for Kyra as she was constantly imprisoned by the guards of the community and all of the friends that she lost. My only complaint is the relationship between Kyra and Joshua. At times it felt a little bit forced and I truthfully think that the plot didn't need the romance aspect. Nevertheless, I really liked this book and the addition of the book-mobile!

7 comments:

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

This sounds so different to anything I've read before. I'm looking forward to giving it a go. Great review, Sasha!

Cate said...

I loved this one too. :D Such a good read! I also loved that Kyra was a fan of the Harry Potter series!

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Oh, nice one! I've been hearing that this is an excellent book. I'll be looking for it!

prophecygirl said...

I LOVED this book. It's one of the best I've read this year. Great review matey!

-Ria xo said...

Wow.
This sounds amazing. Her 60-year old uncle? I can't wait to read this! Especially with all the praising comment above.
Ria xx

Lauren said...

Excellent review, Sasha. :) I think I'm going to find this an uncomfortable but worthwhile read. It sounds really powerful, and I like the idea that reading itself plays a part for the main character.

Sara said...

Awesome review!
I just read and reviewed this too and I loved it. It was so different and unique, definitely hard to read.