Title: Nearly DepartedAuthor: Rook Hastings
Published: HarperCollins (4 Feb 2010)
No. of Pages: 266
Grade Rating: B+
"I've seen a ghost," said Emily. "Well, not seen one exactly. Heard one. At least, I think I have!" Everything has a rational explanation. Unless it doesn't. Welcome to Weirdsville...Woodsville is not like other towns. Night falls a little earlier there, the shadows are darker and denser, and everyone knows it's a place where strange things happen. Even if they won't admit it. Bethan would prefer to be anywhere but here. Jay has his theories, but isn't ready to share. Hashim sees more than he'll say, while Kelly's demons are all too flesh and blood. But Emily's freak-out brings them out of denial and face to face with the supernatural. Anywhere else, Friday night would be date night. But not in Weirdsville!
Nearly Departed is a total spine-chiller. It drags you so far into the story it is almost impossible to put it down. A warning to all readers, don't read this at night!
I've always been really interested in ghost stories and I love reading them and seeing how different authors portray them. I found Nearly Departed to be a totally unique concept in the world of ghosts, bordering on time travel and futuristic science. I think Hastings has brought something truly original to the table with this book. Although it may be a short read, the creepiness didn't cease to exist. At times, I found my heart race and my mouth go dry as I delved into the plot and true supernatural surroundings. I will admit it did take time for the ghost element to start off but once it did, I never looked back!
I loved every character in their own right. The thing that grabbed me about them was that they were defintitely an unlikely group of people to lead the story. Each had individual features and traits about them so it was far easier to get a sense of their personality which made it far easier to enjoy the story. One thing Hastings also does very welll is develop her characters. Take Kelly for example. At the beginning of the story she was fierce, rude and intimidating but as the story evolved she became easily likeable as her softer side began to come out. All of these characters seemed so real and three dimensional and were definitely one of the positive things about the book.
The plot moves at the perfect pace. The events happen quickly with just the right amount of explanation. There was also a shocking twist at the end that I definitely was not expecting and is set up for the next installment. Unlike many other books, this one was not predictable. Hastings has created a fantastic novel which I'm sure will be popular with teens!
8 comments:
Wow, for a scary book you have so many great things to say about it. I guess the key is to read it in bright sunshine and then make sure you've finished it well before dark. I feel a little encouraged to read it now because you make the characters sound fab. Great review.
Okay, I'm really excited about this one now. It's in my TBR and I think I'm going to make it my next book to read. I'm a total wuss but I *love* being scared, so I think I'm going to like this a lot. Thanks for the great review!
I normally get freaked out so easy, but this does sound good.
Oh my heck, I really can't wait for this book. I enjoy being scared (is that weird?), so I'm sure I'll love this! :D
Great review, Sasha! I'm not a horror fan, really, but this sounds absolutely brilliant! I'm really looking forward to being scared by it, but I'll have to read it during daylight, as I'm a complete wimp! Cheers for the review!
Wow, it sounds fantastic! Thank you very much for the great review, Sasha! (And thanks for the warning, too!)
I find it so amazing how authors can create such suspense and scaryness using only words! I haven't read any horror novels but I've been wanting to experience them. Awesome review, by the way!
Emidy
Une Parole
This does sound like a terrific read. It sounds like the plot is amazing -- well paced with unexpected twists.
Post a Comment