Friday, 19 February 2010

Events Report: Richelle Mead Signing

Yesterday, I had the great pleasure of going to my first signing of the year at Southampton's Waterstones to meet Richelle Mead, author of the amazing (from what I've heard) Vampire Academy series. The event was an hour and a half long (6pm-7.30pm) but that was just enough time for me to learn alot of things about the author and the VA series!

The event started with Richelle taking a seat at the front of the shop and reading the first draft of Spirit Bound coming out in May 2010. She accidentally brought the uncorrected copy which is slightly different from the extract that will be published in the book which I thought was very cool as nobody else would have heard it. For any VA fans, the extract included Lissa (or Rose I can't remember) visiting a tarot card reading.

After reading the extract, Richelle took questions from the audience. She revealed that there would be six in the Vampire Academy series with also a possibility of a spin-off series focusing on another character. She also revealed that she had no idea as to what kind of market in the YA Vampire genre she was getting herself into as Twilight had just been released in the shops. She also told us that no TV or film companies has bought the rights to the VA series and she can't see them being made into something for the bigger or smaller screen. She also shared some tips on how to get published and how she started off wanting to write which was also very interesting. Anyway, I took some more snaps...

This is also another picture of her reading an extract.

This is me and her when she was signing my copy of Vampire Academy. She was very nice and she told me that she liked my scarf. The line was abit hectic but I managed to run straight to the front of an atleast half and hour wait.
And finally, here is a picture of Vampire Academy after it was signed. I also managed to nab a very cool pen!

11 comments:

Luisa at Chicklish said...

What a fascinating report - I loved reading it! Thank you. The book looks fantastic! I'm glad you had a great time.

Unknown said...

Brilliant, it sounds like a fab event! Thanks for sharing it with us. Got me thinking yet again that I really should read this series.

Jo said...

Great event report, Sasha! Makes me jealous; I was supposed to go to Richelle Mead's London Harrods signing today, but I'm too ill. Sucks so much, I was really looking forward to it! So glad you had a great time! :) I'm sure you'll love VA, it's awesome!

j said...

VA is an awesome series! Very cool you got to go. I wanted to go when she was in Miami, but other plans got in the way. :( Great post! I enjoyed reading it.

P.S. Your blonde! Your hair looks dark in your profile pic :)

Rogrady book lover said...

The series sounds great!
'The line was abit hectic but I managed to run straight to the front of an atleast half and hour wait.' Lol!
This was great to read! Thanks!

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Thanks for sharing! No authors come around my area so this is as close to an author signing as I ever get, lol

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

So lucky

Amber Kirk-Ford said...

You're so lucky, how come you get to go to all these great author events? Oh and do you like Jacqueline Wilson? Because I asked Random House for a few JW posters for a competition I'm having soon but I ended up recieving 60 posters coming in 3 different parcels all in one day... :P

Adriana said...

How fun! Richelle Mead is a great author although I have yet to finish the VA series. It sounds like you had a great time.

Lauren said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! I haven't tried the Vampire Academy series yet but I fully intend to.

Oh, and I like your scarf too.

Nina said...

Wow, you met the author, that's so cool! Glad you enjoyed it. :)