Saturday, 5 March 2011

Guest Post: Julie Kagawa on 'Her Favourite Fey Court'

Thank you to Julie Kagawa for agreeing to the guest post and sharing her thoughts with you today. Also, thank you to Mira Ink Publishers for arranging this post and blog tour!

Hey everyone! Julie Kagawa here. Thanks to The Sweet Bonjour for hosting me today to talk a bit about my first book, The Iron King.

Ever since The Iron King’s release, people have asked me whether I have a favourite faery court. In case you don’t yet know, there are three courts in the Iron Fey series—Summer, Winter, and a new court created by man’s dreams of technology, Iron. I’d like to say they’re all equal in my heart. But to be honest, I love winter. I prefer cold to heat, I like snow, and I think ice is just cool. (Yeah, that was an awful pun, don’t kill me.) So today, I thought I would share a bit of inspiration behind my version of the Winter Court.

I remember an ice storm that came through Kentucky one year. It coated my car in three inches of solid ice and turned everything else into clear, sparkling crystal. I remember the trees, the grass, the leaves, everything, frozen solid under a layer of perfectly clear ice. I thought how beautiful the world was, trapped under crystal, but also how deadly it would be being caught outside in such a storm.

That’s the world of the Winter Court. Breathtakingly beautiful, but colder and more savage then the deadliest ice storm, the nastiest blizzard. To survive the court of Mab, the Unseelie Queen, you must be ruthless, strong, brutal--or at least intelligent enough to outwit those who want to trap or eat you.

And if you have a dark, brooding faery prince on your side, that doesn’t hurt, either!

I hope you enjoy The Iron King!
-Julie

No comments: