Thursday, 27 January 2011

Review: Glee: The Beginning by Sophia Lowell

Title: Glee: The Beginning
Author: Sophia Lowell
Published: Headlie (Aug 25th 2010)
No. of Pages: 224
Grade Rating: A-

Calling all Gleeks!
Get more of your favorite characters in this official Glee prequel!
All great performances deserve a warm-up! Enroll early at McKinley High--before New Directions was even a glimmer in Mr. Schuester's eye. When did Rachel first decide Finn was more than just a jock? When did Puck and Quinn start their secret romance? And how did the fledgling Glee Club function without a fearless leader? Hint: It wasn't exactly a perfect melody.

Break out the gold stars and refill the slushies: It's time to find out what happened to all your favorite characters before the show-mance began.

I have to say that when I first received this book, I was slightly pessimistic about how good it would be. You sometimes find that TV to book adaptations flop just as much as book to TV adaptations. But, I found that I actually thoroughly enjoyed Glee: The Beginning. It was just like watching an episode of the hit show although I found that it had been adapted so it was more child-friendly for any younger readers. Before, I surely avoided TV tie-ins; but now I might just think twice!

Glee: The Beginning serves as a brilliant prequel to the show; referring to past plot points and cleverly weaving together to create the actions that we watch on TV. This book was very entertaining as well as being a nice companion to the show as we learn more about some of our favourite characters. It provides so much more insight into previous events and how they have unfolded. Readers learn how long Mercedes and Kurt have been chummy and how Puck and Quinn’s secret romance first began to blossom. All of your questions and/or ponderings are answered in this prequel.

The characters are also written just how they appear in the show; especially Rachel and my personal favourite character: Sue Sylvester. Some of the heinous but hilarious things that she comes out with in the show, are just like the things that are written in this book. I could easily visualize the faces of these eccentric and identifiable characters as I was reading some of the dialogue that was bouncing of the page. Rachel’s appearances in the book where also very funny but there is no doubt in my mind that she is extremely annoying. I liked how each character was true to their identity in the show.

It was slightly annoying how some references made in the book where quite questionable but it didn’t end up bothering me too much. If you’re a fan of the show, I would definitely recommend this book to you. It is a fun, easy read to lap up if you’re waiting for the next episode to air.

No comments: