Author: Jackson Pearce
Published: Hodder Children's Books (June 3rd 2010)
No. of Pages: 336
Grade Rating: A-
The story of Scarlett and Rosie March, two highly-skilled sisters who have been hunting Fenris (werewolves) -- who prey on teen girls -- since Scarlett lost her eye years ago while defending Rosie in an attack. Scarlett lives to destroy the Fenris, and she and Rosie lure them in with red cloaks (a colour the wolves can't resist), though Rosie hunts more out of debt to her sister than drive. But things seem to be changing. The wolves are getting stronger and harder to fight, and there has been a rash of news reports of countless teen girls brutally murdered in the city. Scarlet and Rosie soon discover the truth: wolves are banding together in search of a Potential Fenris -- a man tainted by the pack but not yet fully changed. Desperate to find the Potential to use him as bait for a massive werewolf extermination, the sisters move to the city with Silas, a young woodsman and long time family friend who is deadly with an axe. But the clues to finding the Potential aren't adding up, and Scarlet is shocked to learn new details of Silas's family history. Meanwhile, Rosie finds herself drawn to Silas and the bond they share not only drives the sisters apart, but could destroy all they've worked for.
Lashings of gore, horror and magic are never far in Sisters Red. This is a heart-stopping fairytale retelling with a quirky modern day twist. I dare anyone not to fall in love with this book and with a cover like that, how could you not?
My expectations of Sisters Red literally sky rocketed! I could not wait to get my hands on a copy and start reading; expecting so many incredible things from it. I suppose that because I had such high hopes for it, it wouldn't be as good in reality. The monsters and mystery and murder (oh my!) were fantastic elements in the story and definitely came through but there was something on numerous occasions that stopped me fully connecting with the story. Whenever there was a duel between good and evil, I was completely engrossed and ready for more action. However, at other points in the book, I didn't find it as strong although it has an amazing plot.
The two female protagonists, Scarlett and Rosie, were incredibly kick-ass, feisty and simply everything you could possibly want in leading ladies. Their contrasting personalities were certainly something I picked up on and loved. Rosie is shy and girly but at times feels like a side-kick to her older sister whereas Scarlett is tough but loving and is intent on ridding the world of the Fenris. Even though they were so different, it didn't stop them from hunting the deliciously despicable werewolves like proffessionals! And then there was Silas. Sweet, lovely, dreamy Silas the woodchoppers son. Let's just say that I absolutely loved him. Really, he was flawless.
There may be many werewolf books around at the moment, but I truly believe Sisters Red will stand out. I adored the Little Red Riding Hood twist and the mythical lore surrounding the Fenris and the symbols that marked their packs. Although they were similar to the typical dangerous male predators, I still found them fascinating. They were raw and very real. Something you will imagine haunting you in your dreams and after reading this book, I promise you that you will never want to go walking in the woods again.
I really, really liked Sisters Red and I cannot wait for the next of Pearce's fairytale retelling series. This will definitely be popular among fans of fantasy, the paranormal or anyone just seeking a little thrill. It's quaint whilst being modern; exuding a divine charm. A perfect getaway!

4 comments:
Yep, very glad I just ordered this. Hopefully I'll love it as much as you did. Great review!
Such a wonderful review. I have to agree that this novel stands out, and I can't wait for the next book set in this world either. Love it.
All the UK peeps seem to be loving this book. I'm thinking that it must appeal to British tastes or something because I read quite a few not so enthusiastic reviews about it. Glad to hear how much you enjoyed it Sasha.
Wonderful review & one of my favorite reads of this year :)
Post a Comment