Thursday, 28 January 2010

Review: The Naughty List by Suzanne Young

Title: The Naughty List
Author: Suzanne Young
Published: Razorbill (4 Feb 2010)
No. of Pages: 239
Grade Rating: B+

As if being a purrfect cheerleader isn’t enough responsibility!
Tessa Crimson’s the sweet and spunky leader of the SOS (Society of Smitten Kittens), a cheer squad–turned–spy society dedicated to bringing dastardly boyfriends to justice, one cheater at a time. Boyfriend-busting wouldn’t be so bad . . . except that so far, every suspect on the Naughty List has been proven 100% guilty! When Tessa’s own boyfriend shows up on the List, she turns her sleuthing skills on him. Is Aiden just as naughty as all the rest, or will Tessa’s sneaky ways end in catastrophe?
The Naughty List. Is your boyfriend on it?

The Naughty List is a sweet, inspiring read that ditches the superficial sterotypes of cheerleaders in vicious high school surroundings where each kitten can't wait to get their claws out. This book is fun, entertaining and will have you with your pom poms out once you've finished it!

One thing I loved about this book was the lead female protagonist and head cheerleader, Tessa. Usually in typical high shool based books, the cheerleaders are selfish, scheming and self-centred not giving a hoot about anybody except themselves. In The Naughty List, Tessa was not like that at all. I loved how she was not the same kind of cheerleader that has been portrayed about a billion times. Tessa really was a very sweet heroine who cared deeply about her friends and the wellfare of the other girls who had very naughty boyfriends. It was clearly shown throughout the book that each Smitten Kitten was not a perfect cookie-cutter image of how every cheerleader should be. It was good to see how each one had their own inner conflicts but still managed to be positive, cheery and just plain strawberry smoothie!

Suzanne Young has managed to create a gripping and mysterious plot with each twist and turn just pages away whilst also intertwining an inspirational story that will leave the reader begging for more. This is the kind of book that looks predictable but as a matter of fact was pleasantly surprising. From the first few chapters I was completely hooked delving into the engaging writing and refreshingly original take on school life.

The cast of characters and dynamic plot weren't just the great things about this book. I also loved how at the end of each chapter there were cute additions like the 'Cheater Incident Reports' and the 'SOS Official Handbook'. These features just put another unanticipated spin on things which made the experience of reading this even more enjoyable.

I have no major qualms with this book and can safely say I am a fan of the series. This novel was more than I expected and although it didn't have the ending I had hoped for, it left me craving more from the next installment.

15 comments:

Luisa at Chicklish said...

It sounds fantastic, and definitely my kind of book! Thank you for the great review!

Unknown said...

This sounds like lots of fun. I agree that the concept of the mean cheerleader is seriously over used. There must be lovely cheerleaders.

Luisa at Chicklish said...

There are lots of lovely cheerleaders in teen fiction too, though! (e.g. Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan, Kieran Scott's books...) I love reading about mean ones and nice ones! :)

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

I'm really looking forward to reading this. Thanks for the great review, Sasha!

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

This isn't a book I'd normally read just because, at first glance, it seems like one of those cliche highschool, cheerleader, boyfriend, girlfriend type. But after reading your post, you've changed my opinion! I might read this one if I see if anywhere. Great review as always!

Emidy
Une Parole

Shweta said...

I have put it on my wishlist. Looks like loads of fun and a enjoyable read. Great review

j said...

The head cheerleader usually is portrayed as a snob. Nice to see a different side. :)

The Sweet Bonjour said...

Luisa-I'll have to look for those nice cheerleader books because I loved the concept!

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!!

Adriana said...

This book sounds like a fun read. I'm curious to know what the Naughty List the boys are is about. Really nice review!

Anonymous said...

'... just plain strawberry smoothie' <<< love it :)

Hope you don't mind, but I gave you an award even though you've already given it to me :) I'm sure you don't have to list another 10 people :L

http://dragonfly-reviews.blogspot.com/2010/01/humane-blogger.html

Sara x

Anonymous said...

BTW, the book sounds awesome and great review xD

Cindy said...

Glad you liked it, sounds like a cute book :) great review!

Luisa at Chicklish said...

Sasha, let me know if you need titles or anything! There's a whole array of cheerleader books out there! ;)
Hey, you might like The Squad by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - lovely cheerleaders with special skills... :)
http://www.jenniferlynnbarnes.com/squad.html

prophecygirl said...

This sounds great - can't wait to get my copy. Thanks for the review!

The Sweet Bonjour said...

Omg, I just looked into The Squad books and they sound right up my alley! Thank you so much for the recomendation :D