Title: Breathing Underwater Author: Julia Green
Published: Bloomsbury (4 May 2009)
No. of Pages: 208
Grade Rating: A
Last summer, Freya's brother drowned. Everyone says it was a tragic accident. One year on, Freya has started asking questions. Was it an accident, really?
That summer, back on the island where the accident happened, Freya relives the events which led to Joe's death and tries to work out some answers. She is 'haunted' by the sense of him somehow still 'here'. But life moves on. Freya is growing up fast, discovering new feelings and friendships. There's Izzy, who works at the campsite, and casts her own special kind of magic, and Danny, and Matt...
Breathing Underwater was a gorgeously written book exploring the emotions of love, loss, sadness and hope as this coming of age story portrays Freya as she comes to terms with the death of her brother.
I hadn't read many books like this and was uncontrollably eager to get stuck into it. I am truthfull in saying that it was everything that I expected and more. Dealing with the subject of a relative's death or death altogether is usually written as a very hard-hitting and extremely blunt subject. With this novel, it was tenderly described and not at all emphasised or dramatised. I adored how everything about this book was so real. It captured a sense of poignancy which altogether added to the sensitivity of this book which brought it to life.
Adding to the realness of the book, I was surprised at what a great character Freya was. She never complained or felt angry about her brother's death. Instead, she rembered his life, focusing on the happy times in their relationship which I thought was an absolutely admirable quality in someone like Freya, who was only fourteen. Her attitude was remarkable and I must say the most effective thing about this book.
Breathing Underwater is a stunning and memorable debut that unfortunately hasn't received the attention that it deserves. I cannot reccomend this enough and am anticipating her next work.
10 comments:
Sounds great!
Great review, I loved this book. Can't wait for her new one!
This sounds like a moving story. I love the way you described Freya's attitude -- she sounds like a strong, inspiring character.
I remember how much you liked this book! I hope you enjoy the next one too. Brilliant review - thank you!
This sounds fascinating. If I enjoy Drawing with Light, I'll definitely read this. Great review.
Wonderful review! I'm sometimes nervous about reading books that might make cry, but this one sounds worth it.
Loved the review! Had no idea that this book excist, so thanks! It does sounds very nice!
I've never seen this book in stores, but now I'm going to keep an eye out for it! Your review was great.
Emidy
www.uneparole.blogspot.com
Amazing review! I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds incredible, and your review really makes me want to read it! ;)
I hopped over from the discussion post to read this afresh. I'm really glad that I did Sasha. I can see why you chose this review. It has such a beautiful tone and really gets to the heart of the book and the characters. There is a tenderness in the review and I think this must be a reflection of the way the story is told. Thanks for participating in the discussion!
Post a Comment